Monday, September 14, 2015

Portfolio Piece #9: Motion Graphic

Motion Graphic:

This portfolio piece demonstrates a different type of animation from what I'm used to. Motion Graphics are used to describe animation that is used to add life to still images and titles, making a piece more interesting and visually pleasing. This type of motion graphics is called kinetic typography. Kinetic typography is basically animating words or a camera to make a dialogue or any audio with words more interesting and pleasing. The first step in making this type of project is acquiring some dialogue or audio message to work off of. There is actually a website that contains hundreds of dialogues taken straight from movies. My favorite director and maker of movies is Quentin Tarantino so naturally I chose some dialogue from one of his greatest movies. Now all his movies are great and it's had to choose a favorite but I decided to go with one of the best, "Inglorious Basterds." The movie is basically about a chosen faction of American soldiers sent to Germany in World War II time to take out as many nazis as they can. This movie has a lot of great lines so I chose one of the most notorious and fitting for the overall theme of the movie. "You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner takin' business, we in the killin' nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin." This is one of my favorite lines in the movie because of its brutality, it's spoken by none other than the incomparable Brad Pitt. After getting the desired dialogue, it's time to put it into After Effects to start the composition. I chose a worn parchment looking background which I felt went appropriately with the feel of the dialogue. I chose a fitting font and color for the text and went underway typing out the words of the dialogue. Once the dialogue was written out and spaced out in the composition, it was time to animate the camera/ words. I won't go into too much detail but basically I added effects to the words to match how and what they were saying and moved the camera fast paced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment