Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Portfolio Piece #7: Biped Animation

Biped Animation:

For this portfolio piece I decided to use one of my latter projects for a high level class because I knew I would have the best animation with that. 3D animation is a difficult process and takes alot of know how. I have been learning and growing as an animator every quarter I have been at the Art Institute and I believe this project is a culmination of that. 
This project is a 3D animation of a character (Kelvin) dancing through time. I made two scenes out of about thirty for a combined team project called Fancy Pants for my Pre-Production/ Animation Production classes. The project is a short animation about a man who finds the perfect pair of pants that take him all through time when he dances. It's a fun and silly short animation that the whole class put alot of work into. My main responsibilities were story development and animation for my scenes, I also researched dance references and music for the project as well.
To animate my scenes I first started out by making thumbnails for the keyframes I would need. After getting my character, I loaded him into the Maya scene where I would be animating him. The entire class used Maya for their animation so there was no problem with the project as a whole. After posing my character in keyframes, I quickly went on to make the breakdowns. Now after many experiences with animation I found that planning and setting up your scene is one of the most important parts to any good animation. With enough planning, the rest of the animation is much easier. That being said, I spent a good few weeks on my breakdowns so I could get every pose and movement just right. Now came the tough part for me, timing. Timing can make or break your scene so I had to go about it very carefully, I did it slowly and thoroughly and it paid off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment