Monday, September 7, 2015

Portfolio Piece #8: Camera Animation

Camera Animation:

This animation project is a bit different from my other animation projects because the animation is focused on the camera. I started this project like any other, gathering all the assets I would need for the scene. First I found a model of the setting and the assets in it, from there I set up my maya scene. I like to use maya when doing animations because that's what has been taught to me the most at this school. I have the most knowledge of it and it makes it easier to operate the scene. Once my assets and models were set up in the scene I went on to the next step of creating lights and illuminating the scene. The scene itself is a back alleyway with a few overhead lamps lighting it up, with a dumpster precariously placed in the middle. After the whole scene was set up, the next and most important part was figuring out the camera. I say that is the most important part because in this project, the animation and better yet the feel of it will come from the camera. I made a normal camera and set it up in the scene, I decided not to add any lens effects or anything to the camera as it wouldn't bode well with the project. Now I just had to figure out what to make this animation about. I figured its a eerily lit alleyway, might as well add some danger and suspense to it. With that in mind, I animated the camera panning from left to right in a straight motion when all of the sudden the dumpster moves. Now we don't immediately stop with the camera after seeing that, it keeps going a bit before realizing what it saw and quickly puts the dumpster back in the shot. This was to give the sense of the camera doing a double take, which I believe portrays some emotion even for just a camera shot. Anyways, the camera moves the dumpster in the middle of the shot with it still writhing and jumping around. We move really close to the front of the dumpster and suddenly- BAM! The lid of the dumpster flies open!

No comments:

Post a Comment