Monday, August 3, 2015

Portfolio Piece #3: 2D Animation

2D Animation:

This project is called, Nut-n-bolt Cracker. It is a 2-D animation drawn and created in Toon Boom Harmony. It is based off a sketch I made of a goofy and clunky robot doing ballet. The story is about a large robot who was built to lift heavy objects but throughout his lifespan he decides he just wants to dance. The meaning behind it is to follow your dreams and do whatever you want, no matter what society and your background tells you to be.
To start the process I first designed my character, the robot, using Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop. I then gathered references of ballerinas and ballet dancing and compiled them into one video. I rearranged them and cut them into one dance that I used for my robot dancing. I then proceeded to make thumbnails of the keyframes and breakdowns in the dance. I used these thumbnails to draw and pose my character in the right positions for the dancing. Afterwards I added as many in-between frames that I needed to make the dance look better. After the sketches were done, I went on and made the real outline of my character and made sure they had the correct proportions. 
Last but not least I exported out all the frames into a video and added the music to it. The music I used is Damon Albarn's "Everyday Robots." This song and artist are one of the inspirations for this project and provide a perfect melancholy feel to the piece. The song talks about that we as a society are robots stuck on our phones and not really paying attention to what the world has to offer. I took note of that in this story with an actual robot who sees past what he is supposed to and gets interested in what he enjoys.

No comments:

Post a Comment