Monday, August 17, 2015

Portfolio Piece #5: Realistic Indoor Lighting Render

Realistic Indoor Lighting Render:

This project was one of the more challenging pieces I've had to create. In my time at the Art Institute I've concentrated on being an animator, however that field comes with many other aspects besides just bringing characters to life. It also deals with bringing the scene around the character to life as well. Unfortunately this is not one of my strong suits so I had to work diligently on this project. I did the whole project in Maya from the modeling to the rendering, it was the software I was most familiar with.
To begin I found a model of a bedroom online, I could've modeled one out myself but that would've taken far too long for me to finish this project. After I acquired my model and made some changes and touch ups to the scene to make it more my own, I went on to texturing. Texturing was one of the most challenging areas of this project since I decided to use textures from photos that I took myself to make the scene even more mine. After laying out all the UVs in the correct spots and making sure all the textures were up to scale, I was able to have a ready to render scene. Now I did use some materials in Maya to complete the scene, such as the for the walls, I used a rubbery plastic material which resembled a real world wall when rendered out. 
I had to render this scene out in three lighting scenarios, morning noon and night. I chose my afternoon scene because I believe it came out the best. Now for all three of these lighting scenarios, I used the same kind of lighting setup. I used image based lighting by taking the same outside picture three different times of the day and getting the desired results in each of my scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment